RECENT COMMENTS

Monday, December 05, 2005

lennin remembered

BBC John Lennon Remembered via PCL Linkdump



Comments: lennon remembered

I tried to remember myself but I was only 3 when he died and the only recollection of Lennon from those years was singing Yellow Submarine with other runts in the sand pit.
Posted by Russell Allen at December 6, 2005 12:37 PM

I think that's as good a recollection as any.

I read a few things yesterday but not inclined to blog too piously on the anniversary.
I just get hit by that same sense of mad sadness.
Posted by boynton at December 6, 2005 12:48 PM

Mm. I remember coming home from the beach with a school friend and being told. Wow. Just blew me away. The latterday JFK-esque where-were-you rememberances. 25 years. He's been gone a lot longer than he was publically around.

Chapman, still serving his sentence after 3 parole knockbacks, and who is of course now an evangelical christian, remains married to the Japanese woman he sought as a parallel to Yoko.

I saw a Yoko trees-growing-out-of-coffins exhibition by Yoko a few years ago...I thought it was excellent.

[Interestingly, the BBC site has links to the wikipedia entries.]
Posted by peacay at December 6, 2005 01:55 PM

It was a hot afternoon swimming here too.

I try to ignore any references to MDC. All I can do. Hate the way these horrible facts become pubtrivia pulp, though I suppose that's always the way with History crib notes, dates n kings n things.
A piece of trivia I read yesterday: a reporter heard "All My Loving" piped through the hospital in Lennon's final moments... If true, this is unsettling, a case of life too neat for death?

http://www.a-i-u.net/open02.html
Ex it...
http://www.instantkarma.com/yobiennaleexit.html
Posted by boynton at December 6, 2005 02:27 PM

Instant Karma's gonna getcha.
Maybe Cynthia had been doing voodoo.
He certainly was a mongrel to her and Julian.
Maybe he was shot because Yoko deserved the pain of his loss.
I do love Paperback Writer though.
Posted by Brownie at December 8, 2005 11:28 PM

we all shine on.
Posted by boynton at December 9, 2005 10:57 AM

I read a few things yesterday but not inclined to blog too piously on the anniversary.
I just get hit by that same sense of mad sadness.

Yeah, just about me as well. The guy was just a part of life, or at least mine, a part that died that day.
Posted by cs at December 12, 2005 09:50 PM

Just watched 'Gimme Some Truth' cs, which wasn't as bad as the other Imagine doco, which I found a tad too much the other night.
Think that Mikal Gilmore (in the link over at Flop Eared) did say it well about such events shaking a sense of both future and past. The Beatles narrative could seem almost transcendent, of the times but above it. Such a senseless end to a cultural dreaming.
Posted by boynton at December 12, 2005 11:35 PM

Curses, got involved in writing a post and missed it (even after my mother, of all people, rang to remind me).
Posted by cs at December 13, 2005 01:00 PM

Pretty much like "Imagine" 88.

All these imaginings... seem to be self-generating.

Oh well - I'm glad you wrote that post, cs, even if you missed JL. I've been dwelling on it too.
Posted by boynton at December 13, 2005 01:09 PM

No comments: