RECENT COMMENTS

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

I campervan

The GMC 26-foot Motorhome is just what a custom-built home should be...
A reflection of YOU


If you so specify, you can have an auxiliary dinette that converts to a single bed; or a pair of swivel chairs, matching the cockpit, with fold-up coffee table.
In the rear living area is a double bed. In its place, you can order a gaucho couch/double bed; or a table and side-facing settee/double bed.
But whichever combination you select, underneath is one of the Motorhomes most welcome features: Insulation.


1973 GMC Motorhome Sales Brochure via things
 


Comments: I campervan

the foam does a very good job of helping seal out road noise, too...


Umm, people! you are not supposed to be IN THE BACK of the motorhome when it's moving!

I always yearned for a campervan (perhaps a small motorhome) to live in for a year or three, but now it's become a mass market phenomenon ("grey nomads") it doesn't seem so appealing.
Posted by at December 14, 2005 10:57 AM

Sorry, forgot to enter name...
Posted by Helen at December 14, 2005 10:58 AM

I still like the idea of a campervan, Helen.
I'd restrict my wandering to the Victorian coastline (maybe just a backwater in Gippsland) to differentiate myself from the serious map-setters ;)

Actually - "things" has a few links to mobile lifestyle models. Futuristic rather than retro, but it was the latter that naturally appealed to me.
Posted by boynton at December 14, 2005 12:37 PM

Dangnabit. There was a custom motorhome for sale many months back - a guy in Canberra had spent 2 years converting a fire-engine and it was LUSH. Even carried 2 motorbikes undercover and had a back verandah.

Can't find the link. It was on Metafilter but my searching prowess is not so hot today - there were heaps of pictures from the time it was just a shell, all the way through their trip.

He was selling it so they could go to UK as his partner's mother wasn't well. He had the intention of building a new motorhome when he got there for Europe.

Not sure I'd want to be careering around the countryside tooooo much in it. The guy and his partner spent 3 years I think, travelling around Oz but they would spend weeks/months at a time in the one spot. I could handle that pretty easily.

Damn money .. A N D .. the horse she rode in on!
Posted by peacay at December 15, 2005 02:49 PM

Sounds great. And takes the idea of mobile lifestyle a tad further? eg mobile- motor-home conversion-lifestyle?

Think I could handle that sort of idle ambling too.

My own searching wasn't so hot the other day. I had wanted to find pics of *Aust.* vintage campervans but only found this retro/conversion via G Images.
http://snoopy.apana.org.au/~bam/photos/airshows/2004-11/pic00065_Med.jpg.43.html


Posted by boynton at December 15, 2005 07:26 PM

I can remember being sooo disappointed when I discovered that you couldn't actually travel IN the caravan. I'd had visions of - actually I'm not quite sure what I imagined... Anyway, the idea of caravan holidays subsequently lost all their appeal.
Posted by wen at December 16, 2005 05:19 PM

oops. Campervans not caravans. The picture didn't come up the first time - so I had to use my imagination. Went off in the wrong direction - as usual. Is there a map?
Posted by wen at December 17, 2005 06:55 AM

Actually the pic still hasn't appeared here either. and I think I shared your disappointment, wen.
Could say it was too much Enid Blyton that raised the expectations but our first family caravan holiday pre-dated my blyton scholarship.
Posted by boynton at December 17, 2005 01:48 PM

No comments: