RECENT COMMENTS

Monday, July 05, 2004

jockeying

It was a bit disconcerting to be accosted by jockeys while innocently strolling through Fed Square yesterday. They were begging us to visit the relocated racing museum. It was hard to suddenly talk casually with a jockey impersonator, and to decline without offending the delicate sensibility of a hoop, fake or not.


Comments: jockeying

We were there yesterday. Must have missed you by a short half head.

Parts of the display were a bit off-putting. An iconic steed what ran unplaced only once and won a Melb. Cup reduced to an ashtray hoof.
Posted by Sedgwick at July 5, 2004 04:05 PM

... went there after the 'must see' cartoon exhibition at the State Lybee.
Posted by Sedgwick at July 5, 2004 04:09 PM

Nothing against the museum, Sedge, in fact I wanted to go but time was against us.
Just the running-into-spruiking-jockeys unexpectedly.
Tapped into my old clown-phobia I guess.

Saw that same iconic steed racing iconically on the big screen (is that an icon yet?) as we waited over an hour for lunch.

Wonder whether the eponymous filly will ever make it to the museum?
Posted by boynton at July 5, 2004 04:14 PM

Spooky. That same 'must see' - I 'just saw'
(well I read about it on the SLV site actually)
Posted by boynton at July 5, 2004 04:16 PM

We must stop channelling like this. People will start talking. Even the horses? http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_029

Now don't tell me you went to that caf/bistro! If it is we've also experienced dining a la Godot.

Posted by Sedgwick at July 5, 2004 04:28 PM

The eponymous equine? Not sure whether it is on display. Didn't get up to the Vic Market.
Posted by Sedgwick at July 5, 2004 04:29 PM

I loved that "cultural icon" when I was young, Mr. S. (His voice still does it for me, actually) so I read the link with interest and hope it was the peanut-butter-like substance and not the nylon that got him talkin.

Godot is exactly right.
Vladamir and I had to invent all manner of conversational tricks to fend off the worms.
There was even 'a boy' who would appear with a non-commital message from the Kitchen every so often, but alas Lunch did not materialise.
(Sorry - that was a spoiler)

We would have been better off grazing among friends at the Vic Market.
Posted by boynton at July 5, 2004 06:19 PM

I can see I've wandered into the Starters Paddock.

Put a lobster onto whoever's gonna win for me.

*wanders out - champers running low*
Posted by Nabakov at July 6, 2004 12:35 AM

Wouldn't be punting a crushed asian on the eponymous steed wot is currently running (I use the term loosely) like a crippled crab.
Posted by Sedgwick at July 6, 2004 10:28 AM

The jockey pic is great, but I am left with this weird feeling that only the man in the middle is real.

ps - you did it for us all. Gummo has emerged!
Posted by David Tiley at July 7, 2004 02:41 AM

Poor old "Boynton"
(For readers who may not know - there is a local racehorse with this name, whose 'current' form is not so good apparently)
I'd still bet on B - btw.
beware the dark horse, o ye of little faith.

Yes, David. Only the Middle man is real.
The colours look similar to contemporary football jumpers.
I wonder which VFL team would have proudly worn the spots?... err...Spotswood?
Posted by boynton at July 7, 2004 12:46 PM

No comments: