RECENT COMMENTS

Saturday, October 15, 2005

wardle doodle

Be confident and face a swooping bird... the government

For the second time in my life I got swooped by a magpie.
It's hard not to take these things personally.
It may have been my Swans 109th Grand Finalists cap that made it see red
Anyway I was confident and faced the bird as it contemplated a third swoop from the top of the telephone pole.

quardle oodle ardle wardle doodle *

* Dennis Glover via Wikipedia.


Comments: wardle doodle

Heh.
http://static.flickr.com/28/48245125_92e3cb9f70.jpg?v=0
He was on holidays.
Magpie attacks are the new weapons of intercity rivalry.
Posted by peacay at October 15, 2005 10:20 PM

I find the small branch of a gum tree held just above head height and shaken continuously while strolling through enemy lines seems to deter these pesky kamikazees.
Posted by Link at October 16, 2005 12:29 AM

peacay - your city's maggie looks like it is adopting Link's strategy - theough with a bunch of celery held by the feet.
(apologies to serious iconography/ornithography)

I have to say I like that solution, Link.
Better than the dreaded drawn-eyes-on-a-hat look.
I think I did read something about certain colours being bad - like red and orange, so may have to stop gloating about the football and wear my white hat again.
Posted by boynton at October 16, 2005 12:55 PM

I'm probably the one who should apologize, for that's a 14th century Hungarian family crest.

I always thought the eye-scream container on the head was novel fashion defence.
Posted by peacay at October 16, 2005 01:22 PM

Mouthing nasty threats to them as they flap nervously about in the trees works for me.
Posted by Kent at October 16, 2005 01:22 PM

So does that very scenario explain an eye-scream container?

Sounds like you are sufficiently confident, Kent, to see them as the nervous ones ;)
Actually - I'm not phobic or even very anxious about swooping magpies - still having great regard for their oodle.
http://boynton.ubersportingpundit.com/archives/002927.html
Posted by boynton at October 16, 2005 01:44 PM

Great to see you at the grogblog Boynton.
I hereby present you with the award for the Blogger Most Like Their Blog.

I LOVE magpies and wish humans guarded their children as assiduously as the maggies do.
I love their morning song and their mournful going home in the evening song. I enjoy provoking their sidelong WTF? glance with my convincing mimic of a hungry chick. My advice to Magpie battlers is: just wear Spring hats.
Posted by Brownie at October 16, 2005 01:54 PM

Great to meet you, Brownie.
Hope to see you (and youse all) at the next big rantwittering.

I love magpies too - which is maybe why I took it personally. I've always tried to "keep an eye out" for their predators...
Posted by boynton at October 16, 2005 07:19 PM

Yesterday I watched swans on the pond in the middle of the Botanic Gardens swooping on unsuspecting waterbugs drifting round under the surface.

So sorry I missed this grogblog - Fridays I work very late. Next time, I hope.
Posted by Laura at October 16, 2005 08:29 PM

m a g p i e

sounds like a drag racers nourishment.
Posted by peacay at October 16, 2005 09:03 PM

Swans flooding the pond?


or
m a g p i?
suped-up circumferences?
http://www.wethepeople.de/2004/product.php?nr=224
Posted by boynton at October 17, 2005 01:20 PM

Rainbow lorikeet or lyrebird pie would be more easily digested t'would think.
Posted by peacay at October 17, 2005 04:45 PM

Hmph, auspicious use of bullets would result in natural selection of a breed of maggies better suited to living with humans.

**Ducks, as several bloggers swoop hard**

Good seeing you at drinkies, thanks for coming, I had a top night!
Posted by armaniac at October 17, 2005 05:16 PM

Only pigeon pie on the avian-rich menu, peacay:
http://image.sl.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/ebindshow.pl?doc=f990_1_c/a086;seq=13


Yes - you'd better wear sunglasses on the back of your head at the next rantwittering, armaniac.

Thanks for organising it - a very enjoyable evening spent in coolsville Rucker's Hill.
Posted by boynton at October 17, 2005 05:57 PM

No comments: