RECENT COMMENTS

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

crunch time

Crunch time: TypePad or back to Blogger?

The latter has improved vastly since I last posted, but does that je ne sais cachet of subscription count?



Comments: crunch time

You'd have to get lots of people to move links over; you being around the blogosphere a little while I guess you probably have hundreds of linkers.

I get tempted from time to time to leave blogger, mostly for the better layout on other sites. But that's increasingly becoming redundant with feeds.

But that fancy french stuff sounded good, so that may sway you!
Posted by armaniac at February 22, 2006 02:54 PM

Well, armaniac, you sprung this deleted post out of the closet via bloglines ;)
(Thought it fell into the musing-to-myself genre, so deleted it. Temporarily)

Alas, I have to move, so it's either/or, but probably not to the most blog-cred move: mydomain with wordpress...

From what I've seen I like TP - but am wondering if it's that relatively superficial thing of layout (which can be tweaked in blogger fairly simply) that makes people pay for alternatives?
There is the Blogger commenting thing - but most people have adjusted to the registration process...
apart from that Blogger looks smooth to me.
Posted by boynton at February 22, 2006 03:22 PM

Typepad, Blogger, I like the free-ness of Blogger. I like it very, very much.

It does everything I want it to do. Actually no, that's not quite true - I can't ban particular IP addresses. Maybe that's a good thing.
Posted by Laura at February 22, 2006 03:47 PM

Ah - I was wondering about that last point, Laura.

I have done that only once. No regrets.

Everything but categories and some spiffy comment coding, but we await the hacks...
(And if I go that way I might try the deli-ci-ous/category route - if I'm as clever as you and can figure it out )

Blogger circa 02 was a different fish to the googleblogger of 06 I think. I like the dashboard.
I like the wysiwyg editing. Yes I like the Free
(although I must say I've had Free here due to the ongoing generosity of Scott Wickstein)

It's a perception thing mainly isn't it - I don't think many Go Back To Blogger...
Posted by boynton at February 22, 2006 03:57 PM

Free is good. (at last a post I can understand-I think.)
Posted by Link at February 22, 2006 11:18 PM

Please not Blogger! It takes my dial-up a bloody long time to load the comments, and half the time it doesn't work. Incidentally, Laura, that's why I never comment at Sill's Bend any more :-(

Need I say that Wordpress is pretty good and hosting rather easy and cheap(er than Typepad)?
Posted by Kent at February 23, 2006 05:29 PM

Oh dear - today I'm leaning back to Blogger and all...
I was surprised that there wasn't that great a difference in the hosting/wp alternative and TP's medium plan. So this and something about the "pre-fab" (thks Gummo) appeals to me.
Posted by boynton at February 23, 2006 06:13 PM

I was thinking of changing to WP, but it seems much easier and free! to find one of the squillions of free templates out there and play with it.

New one for mine should be ready about mid 2007 at the current rate. I've taken over Haloscan comments, but only because I don't want to lose the ones already made that I cherish. If I was starting now, I'd keep the blogger comments, which have improved tremendously from 18 months ago.
Posted by Zoe at February 24, 2006 09:36 AM

crazy and sillsy alone do a lot for the cachet of Blogger, Zoe.
Yeah I lost all my Haloscan comments from Blogspot days...I try not to think about it.


(btw I had put "state-us" instead of 'cachet', but ubersporting-comment-bot rejected that spammy word correctly spelt. I will certainly miss the creative spelling tasks required to beat the bot)
Posted by boynton at February 24, 2006 12:13 PM

If I hadn't moved about a gazillion times already, I would move back to typepad. I love the option of messing with templates. :)

Posted by: michelle at February 26, 2006 09:21 AM
- but Blogger seems pretty good, and fairly easy to mess with...?
(well I've certainly messed up my template I think)

I've decided to go back to Blogger and see how it goes...

Posted by: boynton at February 26, 2006 04:26 PM

No comments: