RECENT COMMENTS

Friday, December 12, 2003

serendipity

that old thing, that redeeming thing about the web and blogging is that you can be idly searching for Icpota and google will direct you to this wonderful sample chapter of The Facing Island. Jan Basset's memoir crosses certain paths, from Ventnor and The Nobbies kiosk to the Tooradin fish and chip shop (where the boynton family would often stop en route to the island). There are other connections, and the sample chapter of memories and place is enough to make boynton want to seek out the book.

Another good read today on a related theme was Letters by Heather Puttock at things magazine
It is a strange sensation holding a received letter and hurtling back to the physical and psychological space in which one's original letter was written.
(via things)


Comments: serendipity

Heather's post is really sweet. It makes me wonder how much a blog can have the same function. Part of the point for me is that I am writing both to "real" friends, to comrades in the blogosphere who delight me, and to strangers.

There is now a true "me" on the internet. Which of course is me and not me. It's not the me that turns up for work, but it is, with a kind of zen flick that generates an intense truth, the me that is the writer..

The puttock, by the way, is a large soft ball used to play
Camel Golf, a game which has the same relationship to golf that polo has to hockey. The ball is squishy and dimpled like the buttocks of elderly politicians.

I just couldn't stop myself.
Posted by David at December 13, 2003 03:28 PM

I guess playing to the audience, you don't think of the strangers.
It's disturbing but more and more with the archived self, I'm looking for such revelations as "it was 32 degrees today". Mundane weather seems to locate the time and place.
Expect more weather posts in the future. ;)

Camel Golf sounds inriguing. Adding an extra cantakerous factor into a capricious game is admirable.
I think they should add reclacitrant animals to other sports. Shetland Pony Cricket or Goat Petanque, perhaps.
Posted by boynton at December 14, 2003 01:13 PM

Odd that you should mention two of my favorite sports. My weekend is one Sky Channel sportsfest after another.

Llama Llacrosse.
Piranha Pool.
Goose Dressage.
Hare Curling.
Dingo Fencing.
Crocodile Twister. (Sadly,only a demonstration sport in the upcoming Olympics.)

"Fluff up the beanbag for us could ya luv and bring us another VB ... and bowl of salt and vinegars'd be good."

Posted by Sedgwick at December 14, 2003 03:52 PM

Let It Be ..... for God's sake, I'm laughing too much. I'm off to Fish Creek for a whole two days and now I don't want to leave the internet...
Posted by David at December 14, 2003 11:57 PM

Goose Dressage.

I think it's got legs.

You can sign me up for a satellite dish on the spot.


Posted by boynton at December 15, 2003 07:21 PM

No comments: