RECENT COMMENTS

Saturday, July 05, 2003

first and last

Famous literary first words quiz (via fimoculous)
Would seem to want to be teamed with this link to famous last words of literary characters (via incoming signals)


Comments: first and last

Sadly-I'm better at fleas!
Posted by Nora at July 5, 2003 07:47 PM

Would that be Nora's literary first or last words I wonder?
Posted by boynton at July 5, 2003 08:41 PM

SCENE I. Richmond. A room.

Enter Pithy, solus

10/13 is the score of our discontent
Made glorious better by this guess of three

Exit
Posted by Pithy at July 5, 2003 09:02 PM

The first words quiz wasn't at all what I was expecting. But then I suppose what I had in mind wouldn't work. It was something like:

Q1 "Ma-ma"

A James Joyce.
B Homer.
C T S Eliot.
D William Shakespeare.
E All of the above plus everyone mentioned in the Oxford Companion to English Literature.
Posted by Gummo Trotsky at July 5, 2003 09:03 PM

And I love Agamemnon's last words. For such an ending was the word bathos made. (Would that make the play a bathedy)?
Posted by Gummo Trotsky at July 5, 2003 09:07 PM

Enter boynton with dagger.
(aside)
Now are our brows bound with victorious wreaths. Not.
Alas, Pithy, wherefore art the four I missed
and in my missing, guessed.
(Exit)

And Gummo: a very reductive angle. Must check the Oxford to see if great minds do bleat alike.
(Erm I was just being deliberately oblique to ensure people clicked on the link.)
And re Agememmon. Yes, see also "And now what?"
Samsa, Gregor
Short Story: "The Metamorphosis," Franz Kafka, 1915
Posted by boynton at July 5, 2003 11:38 PM

A Heath.

Enter Gummo & the Fool.

Gummo: Blow winds and crack your cheeks,
Like blustering oafs who know not their Rushdie and JM Barrie.
Posted by Gummo Trotsky at July 6, 2003 04:11 PM

No comments: