RECENT COMMENTS

Thursday, October 20, 2005

walk the talk

Last week in the park a woman lingered on the path ahead of me, walking around in small downcast circles
You haven't seen a mobile phone? she asked with a half-hearted nod to the long grass.
No but I'll keep my eye out.
You won't find it! she said, and then gave me her address, hopelessly.

She was right. I myself lost the tennis ball twice in a 10 foot square later on, taking 10 minutes to locate it.

Meanwhile Cell phone could identify its owner by their walk.
Ailisto says, using the simple motion sensing gait method, the prototype phone correctly identified when it was being carried by someone other than its owner 98% of the time. It also only triggered accidentally, when it was with its rightful owner, 4% of the time
(via as above - kevan)


It lends a poignancy to the lost mobile in the park scenario. Even if phone recognised by gait code the worried walk of its rightful owner, it would still be powerless to call out and be found.


Comments: walk the talk

Why on earth didn't she borrow your phone to call her phone so that she could locate it that way?

Whenever I have misplaced my phone, I call it with the home phone and find it that way. This happens more frequently then I would like.
Posted by Scott Wickstein at October 20, 2005 06:47 PM

a) Didn't have my phone on me.

b) We're talkin'... 40 acres or more. With lots of ambient birdsong ...

I don't think paging would work?
Maybe they need a coo-ee mode.


Posted by boynton at October 20, 2005 07:05 PM

...on silent? I have a friend whose phone never gets to ring.
Posted by Kent at October 20, 2005 08:40 PM

like a bird that never gets to sing...

More pathos in that scenario then...
Can recognise rightful owner, is called - but is on silent.
Posted by boynton at October 20, 2005 09:04 PM

mmh - so Scott - she runs home from the park - calls her mobile - puts home phone down and runs back to park - hoping it hasn't gone through to voice mail.
My suggestion is to train the dog to find it.

I saw Moser jogging with his latest bonk the other night and he had Rex carrying his mobile in his mouth and presenting it to Moser when the phone rang.

That's style.
Posted by Francis Xavier Holden at October 21, 2005 10:06 AM

Can Rex txt?

(think I used that joke on barista a while back...
'When an Inspector txts'...shaggy dog joke)

Actually I do think my late labrador could have been trained to do that.
Posted by boynton at October 21, 2005 12:14 PM

What? Tell shaggy dog jokes? Not bad for a smooth haired breed.
Posted by Francis Xavier Holden at October 21, 2005 02:06 PM

Yes it may have been tedious and anti-climactic but it was way too short for a yarn.
Posted by boynton at October 21, 2005 02:37 PM

I'm very slow on the uptake today, FX...

He had a sense of humour, (some dogs don't you know)
but usually acted out his jokes.

Of course I think the correct standard is coarse?
Posted by boynton at October 21, 2005 03:36 PM

No comments: