RECENT COMMENTS

Friday, September 16, 2005

fab 4 top 10

ABC radio's Jon Faine has been running a Beatles competition this week, as you do, inviting listeners to guess his top ten favourites, in order. It turns out his are:

Let it Be
Something
Yesterday
Cant Buy me Love
Michelle
She Loves You
I Want to Hold Your Hand
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
A Hard Day's Night
Here Comes the Sun

Hmmm...there's only two that I would put on my top ten, which is rather hard to compile and subject to variations in mood and weather. But for today, my top ten list is over the fold, (see uber comments) and if you guess it, I'll buy you a



diamond ring a drink

Hey Jude
Something
Here Comes The Sun
Good Day Sunshine
Here There and Everywhere
Dear Prudence
Don't Let me Down
I've Got a Feeling
Things we said today
Why Don't We Do It in The Road


meanwhile my top ten for singing with friends who can harmonise:

Here There and Everywhere
I'm Looking Through You
Blackbird
Two of Us
I've just seen a face
If I fell
Things we said today
Baby You're a Rich man
I've Got a Feeling
Why Don't We Do It in The Road

see also a good top 40
and beatlehead's faves



Comments: fab 4 top 10

Let it Be
Something
Got to get you into my life
Norwegian Wood
All you need is love
Michelle
Eleanor Rigby
Blackbird
With a little help from my friends
In my life
In no particular order after 1 & 2
Posted by norabone at September 16, 2005 06:14 PM

"In no particular order after 1 & 2"

Don't recall that one.
Was that a Macca in the McCartney years?

btw - should have put 'Twist and Shout' on my list but excluded covers for some reason. Probably number 2.
Posted by boynton at September 16, 2005 06:50 PM

Ho. Hum. Fainey once again demonstrating his lightweightedness.

In My Life
A Day In The Life
Happiness Is A Warm Gun
I've Got A Feeling
What Goes On
You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
I'm Only Sleeping
Taxman
Hey Bulldog
Paperback Writer

Point of order please: Is the second side of Abbey Road one song?
Posted by Tony.T at September 16, 2005 07:33 PM

I came here to say Paperback Writer, of course.
Posted by Brownie at September 16, 2005 11:23 PM

A transistor radio under the pillow, a little past bedtime, spring of '63. The local AM station had a contest every week called "Battle of The Bands" where the DJ would play 3 records and kids called in for their favorites.
One of the records that night was "Please Please Me". It made my pre-adolescent hair stand on end.
I forget who won but it wasn't the Beatles.
By early autumn they were launched for interstellar space, just in time to carry America through the asassination of JFK.

That song's always had something for me.
Posted by Juke Moran at September 18, 2005 07:26 AM

exactly what Tony said re the lightweightedness of Jon Faine.
and no way is the second side of Abbey Road one song! Maybe one track - but probably not even that on CD.

to business:

Dear Prudence
With A Little Help From My Friends
Can't Buy Me Love
Strawberry Fields Forever
She's Leaving Home
The Ballad of John and Yoko
Hey Jude
Because
Helter Skelter (until Live 8....not so sure, now)
Blackbird
Norwegian Wood

That's more than ten. oh well!
Posted by laura at September 18, 2005 11:21 AM

TT - I like all those except 'What goes on' and prob 'Taxman'. Any other day I might pick "Hey Bulldog"

Brownie - Jon Faine played "Paperback Writer" eraly in week - maybe to trick people? But it's great ain't it - with that famous bass line.

Juke - Yep, I love "Please Please Me", and a few others around then. "Hold Me Tight" almost made my top 10. That and "Twist and Shout" - a rather stirring duo...

Yeah Laura, the Abbey Road Medley songs are all separate titles in my song albums. Had a boyfriend once who didn't like the Beatles (natch) but thought Helter Skelter was kool enough. (Maybe that's a scary thing) I chose "Why Don't We Do it In the road" as that kinda song, but kinder, gentler - though it is a lot of fun to sing.
Posted by boynton at September 18, 2005 12:43 PM

No comments: