RECENT COMMENTS

Wednesday, July 14, 2004

yelling cursive

6. The space between words
is the width of the small letter o.

9. Lines of writing are far enough apart
for ascenders and descenders not to touch


From 12 Rules For Good Cursive Handwriting via things

(cursive never looked so desperate)


Comments: yelling cursive

I want me a pen that takes animated ink refills, so my handwriting can look that good too.
Posted by Gummo Trotsky at July 15, 2004 03:04 PM

PS - good to see that you're flued out again, or at least flued out enough to blog.
Posted by Gummo Trotsky at July 15, 2004 03:05 PM

ogodogodogodogodogodogdododgodoekdoopgoeeeeeek

such foul memberies that brings back.

skool ink dip pen blotch gungeglob on end of nib now its crossed flick it upright now its hanging from the ceiling above Teacher who hasn't noticed it swinging gently back and forth..
Posted by David Tiley at July 15, 2004 09:38 PM

Takes me back to the horrors of early primary school.

A natural born backhand molly-dooker I was expected to follow the five past one sloping parallel lined template peering through the page of my exercise book with a steel nibbed pen freshly dipped in the porcelain ink well.

Was rescued from a scrawl worse than death by the next teacher who in these days would have said "WTF!", and despatched the template to the rubbish bin.

Then onto my high school salad days of faux tortoise shell Platignum fountain pens (complete with left handed nibs!) and bottles of Swan Ink ... and the most exaggerated backhand this side of Gussie Moran.

In later life I went straight.

(Whilst previewing this I noted Mr T. has snuck in with his more James Joyce Ulyssean nostalgia. Bloody gazumper!)
Posted by Sedgwick at July 15, 2004 10:13 PM

porcelain inkwells brings back repressed memories of inkblots. Even now I mistrust people with neat handwriting.
Posted by Andy F at July 15, 2004 10:48 PM

Who isn't yearning for a good kerning?

Or up for a discursive discourse.

*quink*
Posted by Nabakov at July 16, 2004 02:51 AM

I remember one year (grade 4) of trying very hard to do the cursive bit - but while I was doing rote curves I could never lose the sense of the loop as a shape - to draw, rather than just robotically imprint. I was drawing handwriting rather than rote-rendering it.

I have once disclosed my terrible handwriting here before, (it was a task of the Kaleidoscope game) and there is more discursive discourse here.
http://boynton.ubersportingpundit.com/archives/002288.html
Posted by boynton at July 16, 2004 01:01 PM

The thumbnail dipped in tar having writ moves on to a far far better place than I have ever writ before Gunga Din. A place where the deers and the antelopes play with a surrey with a fringe on top of Old Smokey all covered in circled waggons.

http://tinypic.com/seb7
Posted by Sedgwick at July 16, 2004 02:08 PM

Oops. Spot the wryto.
Posted by Sedgwick at July 16, 2004 02:11 PM

wrytos never look as bad.

I see the evidence of sound training in your handwriting Sedge - eg the assurance of the esses.
(And yours is a far far better scan than mine.
Think I need to seriously dust my scanner)
Posted by boynton at July 16, 2004 02:21 PM

I obviously crafted my esses in a mad woman's kitchen.

Oh, ♥Clarissa♥ let me count the ways.
Posted by Sedgwick at July 16, 2004 02:49 PM

I have blocked out all memories of learning to write. Too too traumatic.

In year 12 -- just before HSC exams, my English teacher handed back my (late) essays unmarked & claimed they were illegible. Said that they looked like a cockroach (dipped in tar?) had crawled across the pages.


Posted by wen at July 17, 2004 02:22 PM

Always look on the bright side, wen. After the nuclear holocaust, your essays will be the only body of literature to survive.
Posted by Sedgwick at July 17, 2004 03:51 PM

No comments: