RECENT COMMENTS

Sunday, May 16, 2004

miss b's book

I invested $2 at St Vincent's on Friday for the 1930's novel Miss Buncle's Book by D.E Stevenson with half a thought to doing a Pillikin. The plan was thwarted as soon as I got it home and saw that the text was comic and, according to the foreword, provides plenty of smiles and chuckles . Alas, a text has to be perfectly straight to skew. However obsolete, any chuckle will kill the deconstructability.

In the meantime Miss b may be developing a soft spot for the easy chair genre. Which is disturbing.


but also comforting to see from this history of easy chairs, the universal appeal of a large, comfortable, well-upholstered armchair for ease and sumptuous seating ...while sipping a beverage, reading, conversating, resting, sleeping...

(While Miss Buncle would probably choose a Classic Club chair, Miss b might favour a Featherston from the fifties)


Comments: miss b's book

"In the meantime Miss b may be developing a soft spot for the easy chair genre. Which is disturbing."

I read (and enjoyed, damn me) my first Miss Read this year, and I just bought a used _Lark Rise to Candleford_ (http://www.johnowensmith.co.uk/flora/), which isn't on that list but surely should be.
Posted by Eeksy-Peeksy at May 17, 2004 11:22 PM

checking that page
http://www.johnowensmith.co.uk/flora/index.htm

makes me covet your purchase
and I'm thinking of building up an easy chair library myself
as opposed to the high chair (children's classics)
bench (books to read in public)
clerk's chair (dry reading, manuals etc)
dentist's chair (classics)

I hope to read Read, and will look out for Flora Thompson etc.
Posted by boynton at May 18, 2004 12:32 PM

No comments: